6/24/08

Just Call Me Mr. Simpson



So, I don't like to brag, but my work's been having a softball tourney. Our company is divided into four units or divisions, and each unit has a team where we play each other at lunchtime on Tuesdays and Thursdays. When we were up to bat I had a feeling come over me, like an uncontrollable nervousness and excitement at the same time. I quickly realized the last time I had this feeling was right before I came within inches of getting a hole-in-one last sumer. I knew something great was about to happen. I leaned over to my friend and told him "I feel a homer is coming..." His expression let me know that he was waiting for me to finish the sentence. So I quickly added "from you." (I didn't want to sound too cocky or anything).

Well, my first time up resulted in a hit, which pleased me but left me wanting more. My second time up, the first pitch was a little high and outside - the perfect spot for letting me extend and get a little upward motion in my swing.

When I hit it, it looked like it would go midway into the outfield and be an easy catch for the outfielder. To my astonishment, it just kept carrying and the fielder kept backing up. Before I knew it, it was over the fence and I was circling the bases.

Our guy from marketing just happened to take a picture of the historic moment.
Chow

13 comments:

Johnston Family said...

As I said yesterday- that is Awesome! You should of course brag- oh excuse me, "blog" about it! Heck , I'd be calling the local news if I hit a home run! :)

Johnston Family said...

P.S. I like the "Romeo & Juliet" song on your playlist. But don't you worry, I'm not going to copy it.... Ah, Your welcome. :D

R Clan said...

I would say a little cocky!!! I bet you think you are hot stuff now. I don't know why I say now because I'm sure you've thought it before. Anyway, I have a feeling we need to get the fams together to play some hard core games. Then we'll see who is bragging. :) lol No cheatin' allowed either!

R Clan said...

Oh and our blog must be more interesting than yours since we are not under "blogs less interesting than this one".

Amy B. said...

LOL - Way to go! I'd totally brag if I hit a homer! Go J-dog! Go!

Natelli Johnston said...

can I have your atograph, yes I know I can't spell autograph, but I only got a 17 :( we can't all be so blessed as you and your perfect act scores and home run hit abilities, not to mention your story writing ability.

Debbie said...

Jess, that is awesome. Actually I am more surprised that it was your first than that you hit a home run. BTW, I know Kristen and Dave because I was Kristen's roommate in college, back when she was going to BYU. Crazy connections.

Johnston Family said...

Okay, so now you need to blog about how you are an awesome basketball player- the Lagoon story is classic! Share it with the world...go on! :)

Amy B. said...

What Lagoon story? I haven't heard that one. What did I miss?

Johnston Family said...

Um, hello, are you EVER going to post the "lagoon" story. Don't leave everyone in the dark about your many hidden talents! ;)

R Clan said...

Update already!!! I want to hear the Lagoon story too. Don't leave us in the dark.

Mindy said...

I just wanted to say that my favorite part of this blog is the comment section! Second, of course to adorable pics of S and K.

Amy B. said...

I know you're busy and all, but let's hear it already!